There are a number of contributing factors that amplify the risks in our community. We are dedicated to shining the light on these factors as well as to provide good information to reduce their impact on the families, young adults and teens within Sullivan county. These factors include:
- Residents of Sullivan County are generally unaware of the consequences (immediate & long-term) from alcohol use and and abuse.
- We have an inability to identify individuals who are at risk for alcohol, tobacco and other drug (ATOD) problems, and a lack of developed referral systems.
- There is a lack of support for the law regarding underage drinking.
- Prevention programs are not embedded in our community. Our perception of alcohol and drug use is exaggerated. We lack positive messaging in the community as to why we shouldn’t abuse alcohol.
- We have a lack of parent/caregiver engagement with youth to help them build refusal skills and make good choices.
- Prescription drugs are available indirectly through family or friends. Our prescription drug monitoring is inadequate.